City Clerk's Office

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I obtain a noise permit or a permit for the following activities: parade; run; walk; march; rally; public demonstration; tag day; or sidewalk sale?

Persons interested in obtaining a noise permit or a permit for any of the above events should contact the City Clerk’s office, where they may fill out a Special Events Request form. This form is also available on this web site.

Where do I go to get a garage sale permit? 

Garage sale permits are available at the City Clerk’s office. Anyone hosting a sale within the City of Kankakee is entitled to two (3) day sales (consecutive days only) during a twelve-month period. The cost for the permit is $5.00 per sale.

Do I need a business license to open up a business in the City of Kankakee? 

Businesses operating within the city limits of the City of Kankakee require a license to do business. The application is available on this web site.

How do I get a peddler’s permit, and what are the fees? 

The licensing for all Itinerant Merchants, Peddlers, or Solicitors is done through the Office of the City Clerk. Application fees are $15.00 for the first person, and 40% of that fee for additional persons. Total fees are based upon the number of days of solicitation. The application for the license is on this web site.

How do I get a handicapped sign? 

Requests for handicapped signs should be given to your alderman. If you do not know who your alderman is, please contact the Office of the City Clerk.

How can I apply for a job with the City? 

Applications for jobs within the City are only given when there is a job opening. Job openings are advertised in the local papers, on the City web site, and on the foyer bulletin board on the first floor of the Administration Building, located at 304 South Indiana Avenue. Applications, when available, may be picked up at the City Clerk’s office.

Who is my alderman? 

The City is divided into seven wards, each with two aldermen. If you do not know who your alderman is, please call the Office of the City Clerk.

When is the next City Council meeting? 

City Council meetings are held on the first and third meeting Mondays of each month. The dates are available on the City web site.

Where can I buy a fishing or hunting license? 

The City Clerk’s office is a local vendor for hunting and fishing licenses.