Frequently Asked Questions

Rental Licenses

What is the fee for Rental Licenses?

$65.00 for single unit and $11.00 each additional unit.

Do I need to get a new rental license if the property had a current license when I purchased it?

Yes. Rental licenses are not transferable.

Is a rental license needed if a family member stays at the property?

Yes, per City of Kankakee Ordinance No 2020-65

113.2 Requirement for license- No person, corporation or other entity shall rent, lease or allow a person other than the legal owner to occupy any dwelling unit within the City of Kankakee, unless the City of Kankakee has unrevoked operating license in the name of the legal owner of record for that premises.

Is a rental license needed if no money is collected?


Who can be an agent/manager for rental property?

The owner of the property has the authority to select a manager or agent of the property as long as they reside in the County of Kankakee. 


Rental Inspection

What is being looked for at rental inspection?

Inspections will cover a variety of aspects that will ensure public health, safety and welfare of both the interior and exterior of the property.

How often are rental inspections conducted by code enforcement?

Every two years from the initial date of the prior issued date of the rental license.  

When is an agent/manager needed for a rental inspection?

The agent or owner must be present for each rental inspection.

Do all utilities need to be on for a rental inspection?

Yes, water, gas, and electric

If the property has multiple units, will all be inspected or just the occupied units?

All units will be inspected

If a property owner is rehabbing a multiunit property will all units be inspected or just the finished units?

All the units will be inspected.



Who is responsible for garbage pickup?

Republic Services 815-472-3332

Who should be contacted to pick up large items?

Department of Public Works 815-933-0472

How many large items can I put out at once?

One large item can be set out weekly for pick up by Republic Services. Wet carpet, wet upholstered furniture, or construction debris CAN NOT be picked up. 



Can I park on grass in my yard?


What is considered an inoperable car?

 A vehicle with no plates, expired plates, on flat damaged.




When do I need a permit?

 When you construct, enlarge, alter, repair, move, demolish or change occupancy to a building or structure or to erect, install, enlarge, alter, repair, remove, convert or replace any electrical, gas, mechanical, or plumbing system.

How long will it a take to get a permit?

Depends of the scope of the work; 1to 3 days.

How long is the permit good for?

Permits are good for six months.

How are the permits calculated?

Permits are based on the cost of the material and labor.

Can I start the work before my permit is ready?

No, all work is to be approved within the building department prior to starting the work.

What if it is an emergency, can I start without a permit?

Yes, but the permit application must be submitted the next business day.

Can I do the work myself?

Yes, but if it’s plumbing you must live in the property.

Do I have to get a permit to do work on my own property?


Is a permit needed for landscaping?



Where do I find code and building ordinances?

The City website lists all the city ordinances per the municipal code.

When should I contact a code/building inspector?

Anytime there is a question or concern in regards to a property in the City of Kankakee. This could include concerns of parking, garbage, and neighboring properties.

Who can contact the code/building inspector?

Any business owner, resident, homeowner or visitor can contact the inspectors.



When does grass become a violation?
When it’s more than 6 inches.