KANKAKEE, Ill. (March 4, 2022) – The City of Kankakee’s Economic and Community Development Agency (ECDA) has three new programs to assist Kankakee residents thanks to the City Council’s ARP allocations. Applications for the Moderate-Income Rehab Assistance Program (MIRA), Rental Rehab program, and Kankakee American Rescue Plan (KARP) Public Service Program are available today at the ECDA office.
“These three new programs will help enhance our current housing and public service programs, and will improve our housing resources for all residents.”, stated ECDA Executive Director Barbi Brewer-Watson. “It is an important goal of the City team to have these funds directly impact the lives of our residents for the better. These programs give us the mechanism into achieving this goal. And this is just the beginning.”
The Moderate-Income Rehab Assistance Program (MIRA) provides an opportunity for City of Kankakee residents who are above the low to moderate Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) income limits to have access to housing rehabilitation dollars to improve their homes. The City will perform an inspection to identify what rehab work could be done and will provide funding for 75% of the project. The resident will be required to cover the other 25% of costs, which must be paid by the end of construction.
The Rental Rehab program makes available $20,000 per unit up to 10 units for City of Kankakee landlords to help improve their property. This is a five-year forgivable grant program.
The Kankakee American Rescue Plan (KARP) Public Service Program funds physical improvement, economic development, housing, and public service activities through the City of Kankakee’s Economic and Community Development Agency. As an entitlement city, the Kankakee Economic and Community Development Agency distributes funds to local communities through a competitive grant application process. The application process begins with the completion of the application. Applications are then reviewed by Community Development staff for project and applicant eligibility. The Citizens Advisory Board (CAB) provides a funding recommendation to the City of Kankakee Council for final approval. Funding available for 2022-2023 grant year is $750,000.00; however, this amount may be decreased or increased depending upon the level of funding the agency receives from future American Rescue Plan allocations decided by City Council over the next two years. If a proposal is submitted for a project requiring services by more than one agency working collaboratively, a lead agency must be identified as the Primary Sub-recipient.
To allocate ARPA funds, Mayor Chris Curtis has facilitated an online survey, hosted town hall meetings, established a Council Committee of the Whole dedicated to ARPA, held one-on-one meetings with local agencies, and collaborated with neighboring community leaders. “These outreach efforts helped to create a robust list of concerns and needs identified by residents and local stakeholders that helped shaped ARPA funding decisions.” Mayor Curtis explained. “It has been important to me and City Council that these ARPA funds are invested well and that we see the positive impact of these investments years from now.”
For eligibility information or to pick up an application please contact ECDA at 815.933.0506 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
# # #
About the Economic and Community Development Agency (ECDA):
The Kankakee Economic and Community Development Agency (ECDA) is a local government agency whose mission is to improve the lives of Kankakee residents and enhance the economic vitality of communities through housing, economic development and community development. The ECDA administers programs that serve the neighborhoods and residents of the City of Kankakee provided by federal, state and local funding. For more information, contact ECDA at 815-933-0506, Monday – Friday between 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Visit our website at https://ecda.citykankakee-il.gov/.
About the City of Kankakee, Illinois:
The City of Kankakee is dedicated to protecting, building and nurturing the community while enhancing lives. We are a historic, vibrant and active riverfront community. We continue to transform into an extraordinary place to dream, grow and thrive. Embracing our diversity, we strive to be progressive, inclusive and innovative. For more information on the City of Kankakee, please visit the website at www.citykankakee-il.gov.